Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, August 15, 2011

Typical Ryan

With Ryan, like I've said before, small advances are big things to celebrate.  For instance, today I was eating some strawberry banana yogurt, and decided to try and give him some.  It was time for his breakfast, and Daddy mentioned he had accepted a couple bites of yogurt a few days ago.  Admittedly, I made it easy for Ryan: I fed him while he sat on the floor watching one of his favourite TV shows. Still, he ate almost half a cup of yogurt!  I even fed him a few bites with strawberry bits in it.  While he did make faces, he didn't spit it out or fuss, so that's a big accomplishment for him.  Then, at lunch time, I made an oatmeal-banana puree combo he particularly liked, and I believe he asked for more using the word sound "mow" at least twice.  However, that's not typical Ryan. Mealtimes are usually much more stressful. Today was a good day.

***

I'd also like to record some information about typical Ryan behaviours/mannerisms (not sure what the proper term is). 
  • Like I've said before, he's not comfortable with eye contact. (However, I've noticed he will look in the direction of my camera, but only because he's interested in the camera.) 
  • He rarely responds or turns when I call his name.
  • When he's tired or upset, or even at random times, he repeatedly shakes his head "no."  I remember he used to roll his head side to side as an infant, when he was trying to fall asleep. Could the two motions be related? 
  • When anything excites him, his arms and hands start flapping, and sometimes he kicks his legs up in the air and seems to be balancing on his bum! 
  • He's  always picking at/sticking a finger in his ears. (He's been tested for fluid/hearing, but it's all clear.)
  • He scratches at his head when tired/upset.
  • He grabs/scratches his groin area frequently.
  • His two favourite spots are right in front of the TV/entertainment unit, or sitting on the base of our fan. (We think he enjoys the gentle vibrations of the fan.)

Some new and unusual additions include:
  • He licks his hands, some toys, and sometimes our couch.
  • He hits at his legs (not hard, but a rapid, patting/swatting motion).
  • He lifts his leg up and uses his toe to rub the top of his head (seriously, he is flexible!).
  • He crawls and drags/rubs his head on the floor for short periods. [Kevin did and still does this.]
I captured a good video tonight of Ryan just doing his thing.  In the video, you see a lot of his typical behaviours.  The video is a bit long (about 8 minutes?), but I took it to keep track of what he's doing, and also to have something to show to our health-care team.

No comments: