Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Kevin's Back Yard Experience

Kevin's been out in the back yard with us before, but usually I'm holding him, or he goes right into the swing. Today, I had an opportunity to get Kevin outside to explore our back yard by himself (Andrea was at daycare). Kevin sat on a little blanket in the grass while I washed up some of the toys, and cleaned out and filled the kiddie pools, for the first time this season. At first he was curious about the green, tickly stuff surrounding him; however, he quickly got upset and dissolved into tears! He did NOT like the grass.

I think he inherited the anti-grass trait from his father. Apparently, Rod hated to go barefoot when he was little. His mom always had to put him in socks!

(Daddy's baby-in-the-grass picture: see the socks?)
***
When I saw how much poor Kevin disliked the grass, I brought him over to the swing. He's been in that before, and I know he likes it! Look at that grin!
I was saying "Hi" to him while he was in the swing, and tickling his feet. He was waving and pointing at me in return.

***

The swing is in direct sunshine in the afternoon, so it gets pretty warm. When I took Kevin out of the swing, he was a bit fussy. So, I thought, "Hmm . . . maybe I'll just dip his feet in the kiddie pool." I held him over the pool, and he started to bounce up and down in the water and squeal. Well, that was all the incentive I needed to lower him down onto his bum in the pool, with ALL his clothes on! Who has time to run into the house, change him into a swimmer diaper and swimsuit, grab a towel, etc. ,especially when baby is teething and fussy? Let's enjoy the good mood while it lasts!


He LOVED the pool. I couldn't believe it! The water was really cold! But he was squealing, and splashing, and grinning like crazy! He stayed in for about fifteen minutes, until he worked up an appetite and wanted to go in for his supper. Here's a video of Kevin's first time in an outdoor kiddie pool:


So, it looks like the swing is acceptable, but Kevin's real fun is in the kiddie pool. Andrea likes to play in the water too, so I imagine we'll be out in the back yard a lot this summer, getting wet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun stuff!
He sure sounds like he was having fun.
BTW, mommy, you didn't like grass either when you were little. :)

Anonymous said...

Parker doesn't like the grass either!!!
Kevin looks like he's having a blast in the water though. Too cute!!!