Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Kevin's Appointment with the Eye Doctor

We went back to see Dr. I. again this morning. Kevin was pretty mad when I had to hold him still, so the doctor could shine the light in his eyes, to examine them. I was holding Kevin in my lap, and the doctor was sitting close-up on a chair, facing us. When Kevin got really upset, he started to squirm, and gave the doctor a quick kick in the groin! Dr. I. was more surprised than hurt, so he just laughed it off. :))

Dr. I.'s conclusions are that Kevin's vision in the left eye is probably fine, and the eye is more of a cosmetic issue. He said we won't really be able to test Kevin's vision until he's old enough to tell us what he can and cannot see. Also, Kevin's eye turns outward, and usually one eye that turns outward a bit doesn't affect the person's vision. However, the eye that turns outward may become more pronounced as he gets older. There is a slim chance it could get better, but the doctor says in most kids, it gets worse as they get older. So, basically, it's mostly a cosmetic issue. He also said that the only way to straighten the eye is through surgery. Eye glasses, or a an eye patch, don't work in this case.

Dr. I. said that there are no eye doctors in Windsor right now who operate on small children. We'd have to take Kevin to London, or Toronto. I asked if we could wait a few years, and watch Kevin, to see if anything changes. Dr. I. said yes, that's a good idea. So, we're going to visit Dr. I. every six months or so for a check-up, and keep track of any changes in Kevin's eyes/vision.

I imagine if his eye gets worse, I'd probably want to get the operation in a few years, before he starts school. It may just be a cosmetic issue, but you know how mean other kids can be sometimes. I know if I'd had something like that, and there was a chance to get it fixed, I'd want to get a surgery done while I was little, and when I would barely even remember it.

So, that's it for now. We wait and see. (Pun intended?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you and your future choices for Kevin's eyes.
No need to hurry into anything just yet.

And Kevin....way to go buddy! You have struck a well aimed blow for all of us that have wished it on a doctor at one time or another.
*grin*
Love,
Grandma Marty

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with you...we all know how other kids can be. You never know, it might just fix itself over the next couple of years. No matter what he has the handsomest little face!!!!