Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 9, 2007

First Thoughts on Having TWO

This morning was one of THOSE mornings . . . I think it was the first time it really hit me what it's going to be like dealing with two little ones now.

Well, it actually started last night. Daddy went out for his usual Wednesday night poker game. He was able to give Andrea her bath, which was a big help; but I had to deal with bedtime all alone.

Ever since we've returned from the hospital, Andrea's bedtime habits have gotten extremely difficult. She will only go to sleep after about 9:30 at night, and she insists on laying down with one of us in OUR bed, until she falls asleep. Then, Rod usually transfers her to her own bed around 11:00 or 12:00; then, she gets up at 3:00 or 4:00 and crawls back into bed with us.

It's more problematic now because when Kevin cries or starts to fuss, and we need to get up with him, we have to tiptoe around and make sure we don't disturb Andrea, when she's sleeping with us. She also is starting to have a habit of turning sideways in her sleep, so I end up with her feet in my face or her head on my feet, or something crazy like that!

So, last night, I had to put her in our bed--which means lifting her, because our bed is tall--definitely not good when recovering from a c-section! Then, she wanted to talk and play for a while in bed, but I just wanted to sleep! Then, she wanted Daddy, and I had to explain that he was gone out. Finally, she turned sideways, but her feet on my chest, and went to sleep. I must add, though, there were a few cute moments when she rolled over and started to rub my arm and my back, and murmur, "Nigh-night, Mama." :))

This morning, she got up when I was feeding Kevin, and wanted something to eat--specifically, yogurt. But she wanted to watch "Dora" and eat yogurt. So, I was feeding her yogurt with one hand, and feeding Kevin his formula with the other, which is no easy feat!

Then, it was time to get Andrea ready for daycare. Kevin was done eating, so I put him in his crib, with a musical toy. He seemed quite happy. I went into Andrea's room to get her clothes, and something told me to peek in at Kevin. What did I see? Vomit, a big pool in the middle of the crib, and poor Kevin laying in it and whining! Yuck! His hair was all full of it, it was all over his face and clothes . . . ew! This was by far the biggest spit-up he has had! I couldn't leave him like that, so I had to drag Rod out of bed to get Andrea ready, while I had to haul out the bathtub and give Kevin a full bath, change his clothes, change his bedding, etc.

I have no idea what I would have done if Rod wasn't there to take over getting Andrea ready! What am I going to do when Rod goes back to work on Monday!?

In general, both my babies are really good, and it will probably not be so bad. It's just these times when everything happens at once, and they both need my immediate care, that I really wish there was a way I could split myself apart and do two or three things at once! But, like several experienced friends/family members have told me, you get through it . . . and know that moms have been doing this, more or less successfully, for thousands of years before you! :))

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya...life is busy!
Matt went back to work this week and it went better than I thought. Then he went away this weekend (to his cousin's wedding in Brockville) and it hasn't been that bad...although my parents came up to help me this weekend. Finn seems a lot more easy going than Maeve was...probably because I'm more relaxed. If you ever want to chat (like we have "chatting time") give me a call and we can exchange our laughs and nightmares.
Kevin is adorable (I love that little outfit). I hope we can get some current pics on our website soon but it's so at the bottom of our list right now.
Take care, it sounds like you are doing an awesome job!
Susan