Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, September 21, 2007

SEVERE PEANUT ALLERGY: Confirmed

Dr. Z., the allergist, had called us last week and asked us to come in for an appointment as soon as possible. We were originally scheduled to see him in November, but he wanted us to come in sooner. So, this morning, we headed into his office to hear what he had to say.

Andrea's blood test for the peanut allergy came back with the following results: she is DEATHLY allergic to peanuts! Her allergy reading was 93/100, which is incredibly high. Isn't that odd, considering her test last year came back negative? But I think this was a more specialized test.

So, the doctor told us:
  • Andrea must NEVER be exposed to peanuts/peanut products for the rest of her life.
  • We must ALWAYS have an epi-pen nearby, and make sure the prescription is current.
  • All of our family, friends, and Andrea's caregivers must be alerted to her peanut allergy.
  • He is sure the cause of Andrea's reaction last year in Montana was due to exposure to peanut butter--not even eating any, but possibly just somehow coming into contact with it that morning!

He also gave us a huge list of things to look for on food labels, and things that Andrea can't have. He also suggested she avoid all nuts, and not just peanuts, because her allergy is so severe.

I am SO GLAD that Rod and I decided to tell everyone to treat Andrea as if she were allergic to peanuts, even after we got that (false) negative test back last year. Call it parents' intuition! Thank God nothing happened in the meantime. I am kind of mad, and scared about what might have happened, because of that false negative. But at least we know now, and can take serious precautions.

So, now I am going to be the mom who asks, and trains her child to ask, "Are there peanuts in that? Does it contain any peanut products? Has it come into contact with any nut products?" and probably drive everyone crazy with the question.

But this is something I take very seriously. During the Christmas holidays, when I was 11 years old, my Aunt Julie who had a severe peanut allergy, accidentally ingested a peanut product, went into anaphylactic shock, and did not recover. So, I know my family will remember this tragedy and do everything they can to make sure Andrea is not exposed to peanuts.

***

On the lighter side, perhaps this new situation will help Mommy lose a few pounds. I am a peanut butter FIEND! But it specifically says on the handout the doctor gave us: "Throw out any peanut butter you have in your house!" I am sure I'll go through withdrawals, but I'll get over it in time. :))

5 comments:

wenat said...

You'll want to go to peanutallergy.com for some great tips on how to deal with peanut allergies.

I've also got a bunch of other allergic parents' blogs listed on my blog. Would you like me to add yours?

Anonymous said...

We are glad that you found out the information so that you can beware of the allergy. Life can send us things that we would rather not have to deal with, however, you have a great outlook on the situation. Take care of your little girl. Love Jeff and Lorraine, Ariana, Gabrielle and Miranda.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that she has such a high allergy to nuts. I am glad that you guys found out when you did though. I will make sure that we don't have any peanut products for when you come over for the birthdays.

Anonymous said...

so sorry to hear about andrea's allergy...not fun :( I'm so glad you found out through doctors and not on your own. Do they make little med alert bracelets for severe peanut allergies?

Anonymous said...

I am definitely looking into getting her some Medic Alert gear! I had the bracelet for asthma, as a kid.