Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Nail Polish Fiend

Andrea and Daddy went to watch Daddy's little cousin play hockey tonight. Grandma and Grandpa Gagnon were there, too, and of course she came home with a box of Smarties and a smile on her face.

But she also came home demanding that I paint her nails. You see, Grandma always has nicely polished nails, and she sometimes paints Andrea's nails when they spend time together.

By the time they got home from the arena, it was time for Andrea's bath; but she kept insisting, "I want nails, Mama!" (She doesn't call it nail polish yet.) I tried to put it off until tomorrow--I promised her we'd do it in the morning. Nothing doing. She cried all the way into the bathtub, and could only be coaxed in by giving her more Smarties while she was in the tub! That sufficed for about ten minutes. Then she declared, "I come out--I'm all done, Mama." As soon as I went to get her out of the tub, she insisted, "I need nails, Mama! My nails, Mama!" She wouldn't even let me help brush her teeth with her Princess toothpaste (which she loves) until I finally caved and said, "Alright! If you stop crying, and be a good girl by brushing your teeth/hair/getting your pj's on nicely, we will do your nails." I hate giving in . . . but it worked. She behaved.

And so, after she was all ready for bedtime, I pulled out a shiny mother-of-pearl nail polish, sat on her bedroom floor, and painted her fingernails and her toenails. I was worried she'd want a more showy colour, but she was happy just getting her nails done. Right away, she was wriggling with excitement and exclaiming, "I'm so pretty!" Considering her nails are so tiny, and I wasn't too worried about this light polish smearing on anything, it only took about five minutes. I tried to get her to sit still, or blow on her nails so they could dry, but that part was lost on her. Once she had her "pretty nails" she was quite content to go to bed.

She will probably request a touch-up for Easter!

(Actually, I've spoken with the Easter Bunny, and he has found a set of the cutest little decorated press-on nails for toddlers. :)) I'm eager to see her reaction to them!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

TeeHee! I see "the princess' is all girly girl :) Nothing wrong with that.
As for you "caving", I understand you not wanting to give in to crying fits. But....
sometimes you need to pick your battles, and not sweat the small stuff. :)

Unknown said...

kindered spirits indeed...did you see the red polish on Princess M? I run the hairdryer over those digits before she exits the bathroom. Those press ons sound adorable. We just picked out pink polish to go with the Easter dress. Oh and I agree pick those battles...if I didn't...life would be hellish.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about that but my little grand-daughter just "needs" to have her nails done like Gram!! By the way, she also had all my jewelry on at the arena too...so watch out!
Mom G