Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

For Daddy: The Kids Doing Their Thing

Daddy has to be in Toronto for work this week, so I decided to do an entry about what the kids have been doing so far, with some photos and videos from the homefront.
***
Yesterday evening, there was an unpleasant incident . . .



Andrea and Kevin were playing near each other on the floor. Andrea grabbed one of Kevin's toys, and for the first time, I saw him get a bit irritated with this--he appeared to be yelling at her! Anyway, I asked her to give it back to him, and what did she do? She threw it at him! It is a heavy, hard plastic toy, and it hit him just below the eye. He was stunned for a few seconds; then he started to wail. I was SO mad at Andrea. She clearly did it on purpose; but what was worse, was that even though I made it clear what she had done wrong and why, she didn't seem to care. She laughed it off. Since she clearly didn't care about Kevin, I punished her in the only way I knew would get her attention--I ignored her. It didn't take long before she caught on that Mommy didn't want to play with her anymore. Then she was sorry, and even hugged Kevin when I asked her to. Ugh. Passive aggressive little thing, isn't she?

The good thing is, children forgive and forget much more easily than adults. While I was still upset by the situation, Kevin was laughing at her again within minutes. When I put him to bed, he was as excited to see her in his room as ever! God Bless the little ones. :))



***
Things were back to normal today. Andrea appeared a little more aware of Kevin, and seemed okay with his presence in her room while we were playing. It's funny how she always says, "Kevin's crying" when he squeals or laughs a lot. It also makes me frustrated when I say, "He likes you!" and she says, "No." But I think that's more of her toddler contrariness than an actual belief that he doesn't like her, so it doesn't worry me.

Anyway, today she was popping in and out of her playhouse, and making Kevin laugh.

***

Kevin is a real wiggler. He can't sit still for a minute--he's so curious! In fact, I can't even get him to sit up because he never stays still enough to keep his balance! He's always tilting himself to get a better look at something, which causes him to topple over.

On the other hand, he doesn't really like being on his belly, so I think it will be awhile before he crawls. He has been voluntarily rolling himself onto his belly a lot lately, but he usually flips right back over. Of course, if he gets distracted or gets his arms pinned under him, he has a hard time of flipping onto his back. Today he was in that situation--struggling to flip back over, while keeping an eye on all the action. However, Andrea stepped in with a demonstration on how to roll over, and I think she inspired him!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so not alone and Andrea sounds much nicer than Maeve these days. Maeve's been acting up a little bit around her brother again...pushing him over, bit him (making it look like she's going in for a kiss), hit him. I don't know what her problem is. She's been spending some time getting to know the stairs thats for sure (her timeout spot). I CANNOT wait for spring...we are just getting so cabin fever. Today has been very "friendly" so far.
Your kids are cuties!!!

Anonymous said...

AWWWW Poor Kevin!!! Took it like a real bot though, didn't dwell on it!!!

Anonymous said...

Ooops! That's supposed to say BOY!! LOL!!