Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

First Veggies and Fruits/Potty Update

Four days ago, I gave Kevin his first taste of veggies. I went with squash, because that's what I started Andrea on 2 years ago, and she really liked it. Kevin's reaction was a lot different from Andrea's:


Andrea: Smiling! Kevin: Gagging!

I tried it again the next day, and he still wouldn't eat it. He actually put his fingers in his mouth and tried to scrape it out!

So, I let it go for a day. The only other baby food we had was a jar of banana. I'm thinking: bananas are a fruit; they're sweet; he'll probably like that! No such luck! He reacted the exact same as he did for the squash--spitting and/or drooling it out, scraping it out of his mouth with his hands, and wincing at every bite. More and more I am learning how each baby really is different. Andrea ate every new food we gave her, when she was Kevin's age. She might have made a face for the first few bites of a new food, but almost always began to like it within minutes. Anyways, it's back to plain old rice cereal for our little man, for now.

Here's a video of Kevin's first experience with squash:


***

Right now, intensive potty training is on hold. Andrea came down with a very bad cold (it never ends!) and fever on Monday night. She has been coughing, not sleeping well, and generally miserable; so, I didn't think it would be worth it to try any serious potty training. We still try to get her to sit on the potty a few times a day. Plus, Kevin is starting to cough, and Mommy has the fever and runny nose today, so it will probably be awhile before we get back on track. In the meantime, thanks to all of you who've called/emailed and sent me some great ideas for encouraging Andrea. I will definitely put them into practice when we're ready to resume serious potty training.
***

On a positive note, I'm pleased that Andrea had recently gotten more interested in books. She has her favourites that she pulls out and leaves around her little couch, for whenever she feels ready to read. If I try to put them away (tidy up), she gets upset! Her favourites, right now, are: "Dora Rides to Bike Park" and "Diego Saves the Butterfly" (no surprise there). She likes us to read them to her and she'll sit and "read" them to herself now, since she has some of the stories memorized.
She has also taken to asking for "Mama's book." She knows I always keep one or two handy on the back of the couch. Then, she sits herself down and solemnly begins to flip through the pages of my book. It's quite funny. When she has flipped to the last page, she declares, "The end!" and gives it back to me. But, she also has a habit of coming up to me when I'm reading, trying to push my hands together to close my book, and saying, "The end!" so I'll stop reading and pay attention to her. :)) Hmm . . . now that brings back memories . . . (Anything requested of mom while she's reading is null and void . . . :))

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh!! Glad to see she is interested in books. It's the perfect time to implement "the potty training book" for the bathroom only, when she sits on the potty :))

LOL! Yes I DO remember the rule of not asking Mom for anything when she is reading, as all "yes's" woulde be considered null and void! Thanks for the memories :))))
--Love, Grandma Marty

Anonymous said...

What a face on Kevin!!! Parker absolutely LOVES his veggies!! All of them. No faces and he actually says "YUM" with every bite. As for meat on the other hand...his and Kevin's faces look similar!!!