Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Kevin's First Swim Class


Today Kevin and I had our first Parent and Tot 1 swim class. Overall, it was a great experience, but I missed having Daddy there to help!

This time because I am going with a friend, Michelle, and her little boy, Parker (who is six days younger than Kevin). Michelle drives us. It took a few extra minutes to get Kevin's new car seat in her SUV, but we actually did it more easily than I expected.

We arrived fairly early, so we had lots of time to work out the logistics of getting ourselves and our babies ready to swim. It's a bit of a juggling act to get an impatient, squirming infant and yourself ready to swim in a changing room that only has a couple of benches and one fold out change table, for 8-10 babies! Some moms brought strollers, so they had somewhere to put their baby down. It's a good idea--Michelle and I are doing it next week.

It was nice because Michelle had previously taken a Mommy and Baby Yoga class, and some of her friends from there were in our swim class, so Kevin and I made some new friends.

Kevin missed his morning nap, so he was pretty drowsy by the time class started. But he was a good sport. He didn't cry at all. He was very calm and quiet in the water. He simply floated along, and relaxed in the lovely warm water. He kicked his legs a few times. I think his favourite part was when we got out the little floatie boards and floated the babies around on their backs. He stretched his arms right out over his head, and lazily observed the other babies surrounding him. Everyone was laughing because he looked so relaxed!

Parker was a good sport, too. He reminded me of Andrea, when she started swim class--a real splasher! He seemed like a natural swimmer, kicking and splashing right away. :))

The teacher is by far the best one I've had yet. She kept us busy the whole time, and even had us do some things I hadn't done in all the classes I took with Andrea. Coincidentally, she and Michelle went to high school together. There was another mommy there, who had also gone to their high school; and out of about ten babies, she had the only girl !

By the end of swim class, both boys were overdue for a nap, so they got a little cranky as we were all getting changed to go home. But they were in good company--several of them got up quite a little "concert" in the change room. One would start, another would join in . . .

The boys were sound asleep by the time we got back home. When I woke up Kevin to get him out of his car seat, he looked completely dazed. Once in the house, he only ate about 2 ozs. of his bottle, and fell into a deep sleep. Kevin, give up food for sleep? He must be really tired! :))

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the latest postings on the kids. Gosh are they growing!

Anonymous said...

that comment was from Grandma Marty

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous of you guys...wish I could go swimming with you 4. I can't take Maeve or Finn during the day because I don't have anyone to watch the other...Matt and I are going to try to do a family swim one night a week.
Kevin looks so big in his new car seat.
Can you believe our boys are going to be 1/2 a year old at the end of the month? It's just crazy!!
Can't wait to hear more about your swimming adventures.