Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Potty Training Woes

What do you do with an almost-30-month old who says, "No!" EVERY time you ask her to go to the potty?

I offer incentives--stickers for trying, mini-marshmallow for success--and these are now only given to her when she uses the potty. I make it fun: we sing on the potty, we read on the potty, we sit and chat on the potty. At Gram and Grandpa's house, they have a container of toys that is specifically for potty time. I also got her some Dora underwear that she can have when she starts to pee on the potty. Even that hasn't enticed her.

It doesn't matter. Getting Andrea to sit on the potty, with her pants down, is like trying to make a rabid dog take a drink of water! She actually gets upset sometimes.

I've been trying to pick times to take her to the potty that don't interrupt her playing or her TV shows. It's hard, but that hasn't seemed to work, either. I've also tried to guess when she might have to go--like after sleep, or drinking a lot--and take her then. Still, no success.

I can usually coax her to come and sit on the potty after a few minutes of her saying "No" or trying to ignore me. I don't want to be mean or stern about it, because it already seems like it's a negative experience for her. When I finally DO get her on the potty, she sits for about 3 seconds, then declares that she's "all done." I usually encourage her to sit back down for a bit longer.

So far, she's done nothing in her potty. Gram and Grandpa have a potty at their house too, and they haven't had any luck with her, either. But Grandpa got Izzy to go, and she's only 18 months old! Geez!

I asked Andrea if she wanted to go on "the big potty," thinking maybe she doesn't like her little potty. But she still said no, so that's not the problem.

So, I have no idea why Andrea is so against using the potty. She's sat on it in her clothes for a year now, no problem, but never wants to use it!

I am at my wits' end!

Andrea is moving up to the Junior Preschool room in her daycare on February 5th. I know they do intensive potty training in that room, for the kids who need it, so I am trying to get her used to sitting on the potty every few hours. I really hope they will have some success with her! Maybe new faces, and being surrounded by other little friends who are also potty training (and succeeding!) will give her the extra encouragement she needs to get over this anti-potty attitude. Hmm.

I am open to suggestions . . . anything . . . you can post, or email me, or call me, or whatever! My worry isn't so much that she isn't potty trained yet, as that she doesn't even want to try. :((

***
In the midst of all this, poor Kevin seems to be cutting some teeth. I can't see them yet, but he has been waking up at night (which he hasn't done in months), and is often miserable for no apparent reason during the day. He's also been drooling like crazy for the past month.
However, one thing Kevin has been doing is making me very happy. He has really started to put weight on his legs this week. He stands up nice and stiff when I put my hands under his armpits, and even tries to take a little step now and then! He can't hold himself up yet, but still, I am so pleased . . . Remember what we went through with Andrea? She didn't bear weight on her legs until she was well over a year old. Kevin also rolls from side to side and from belly to back regularly--and he could roll from back to belly if he wanted to, but he doesn't like his belly! Rod laughs because I put Kevin on his belly, and Kevin almost always flips right back over onto his back, the little stinker! Kevin is also babbling a lot this week: lots of "mamamama" and a few "dadadada"s and even "bababa" and "booboob!"

No comments: